Staffers ask: Bigger price tag, better quality?

by Samantha Della Fera & Rebecca Smoot
   Materialism is alive and well in contemporary society. Put two identical blocky white shoes next to each other, and people will go for the ones that have the little Adidas logo stitched on the back. The same goes for our favorite foods. While it’s never a problem to treat yourself, we set out to see whether it’s worth it to shell out a few extra bucks for some tasty food, or if you can get even better treats for less.
Pizza Domino’s: $9 for a 14” pie
Oh yes they did! This chain restaurant has become a popular go-to midnight snack. For less than $10, you can get a large pizza to enjoy with friends or to shovel down while finishing that essay you forgot about on a Thursday night. Still, you’re going to get what you paid for, and Domino’s signature cheesy, greasy goodness would bring an Italian chef to tears. But coming from the company that brought us Cinna Stix, that’s a risk we’re willing to take.
Gennaro’s: $13.50 for an 18” pie
This Westfield classic will never let you down. While speciality slices like the Buffalo chicken and Grandma pizzas come in at $3.49, you can indulge in a large plain pie from this local favorite for just $13.50. Share it with friends or devour the whole thing; either way you’ll leave feeling more than satisfied. Plus, the guys behind the counter always welcome you like an old friend, making the overall experience truly priceless.
Fiamma: $18 for a 16” pie
A newcomer to the Westfield storefronts, Fiamma brings diners about as close to classic Italian pizza as you can get. This comes with a bigger price tag, as you’re going to be paying more for less compared to other pizzerias in town. But once you take that first bite into this perfect slice, you’re not even going to notice that your wallet is a little bit lighter. Although,  if you are dying to taste authentic Italian cuisine, it’s a small price to pay.

Ice Cream

Dairy Queen: $2.39 chocolate-dipped twist cone
Who doesn’t love a classic soft-serve treat? Dairy Queen is the perfect match when you’re craving the classic ice cream truck pick-me-up, but can’t seem to find one in your neighborhood. With flavors ranging from Oreo Blizzards to an Orange Julius, you will never get bored. And if you’re just looking for an everyday treat, Dairy Queen’s classic twist in a cone is less than three bucks and perfect if you’re on a budget. Added bonus: If they don’t flip your Blizzard upside down, you get it for free.
Chocolate Bar: $3.85 small cup of Stracciatella and The Works
While not technically ice cream, The Chocolate Bar is a classic Westfield ice cream spot. The creamy gelato is certainly enough to fill you up, even after just two scoops. You’ve got to try The Works, vanilla gelato with cookie dough, Oreos, chocolate chips and rainbow sprinkles. Paired with Stracciatella, a vanilla ice cream with dark chocolate chips, you can’t go wrong. While on the pricier side, you definitely get a bang for your buck here.
Kilwins: $4.80 small cup of cookies and cream
Kilwins is the newest ice cream store to hit downtown Westfield. With prices comparable to the infamously expensive Cold Stone, it could seem a little extra. But the richness of this ice cream makes up for it. With a variety of flavors that you can get served in a warm waffle cone, Kilwins is a good spot if you’re looking to treat yourself after a long day. Also, be sure to grab a slice of homemade fudge or caramel chew to bring home, because you’ll be longing to return as soon as you leave.