Get to know Folio

by Kate Capodanno

Students searching for an outlet to share their literary or performance art can now submit their work to be published in the Folio literary-arts magazine or begin practicing an act for the Jan. 11 Coffeehouse, according to junior Corresponding Editor Alexa Derman.

The Folio magazine is an open forum with no censorship where students can submit “prose, poetry, nonfiction and any other kind of art, which includes photography,” said junior Managing Editor Geneva Gleason.

According to Derman, the Folio club reviews the submissions anonymously and will provide constructive criticism to those rejected from publication in the magazine. She said the deadline for submissions is March 25.

Junior Coffeehouse Manager Rebecca Plotkin said the magazine does “not receive funding from WHS, so Coffeehouses are essential to keep the magazine alive.”
“I first heard about Coffeehouse from a senior when I was a freshman and fell in love with it,” said junior Folio Editor Nicholas Gabuzda.

Coffeehouses are held one Friday every month in Cafeteria B. Entry is $5, but if you are a performer, you get in for free, according to Plotkin.

“Anyone can perform at a Coffeehouse. We get a variety of acts including composers, dancers, singer[s], poets and bands,” said Plotkin.

Sophomore Colin Barry said, “I really like the atmosphere and attitude of the whole event and use it to share my passion for music.”

​According to Plotkin, students outside of WHS are welcome to perform as well. She said: “The best way to help us out is to spread the word. Bring your friends, perform something—just come out and support us.”