Fall sports leave us memories

While the football team emerged from this season with a third state championship (see Page 1), our other senior captains reflect on what they have accomplished during their last fall sports season at WHS. It was a banner year for Westfield fall sports, from sectional finishes to county titles.
Boys Soccer – Dan Sokolin ’18
“This season was an amazing way to cap off my high school soccer career. We had a great group of guys with lots of chemistry on and off the field. In hindsight, I think that some of my favorite memories from high school will be from being a part of this program.”
Girls Cross Country – Emma Jackler ’18
“This past cross country season has been the most successful year in our school’s history. The varsity team placed sixth in the state and the freshmen went undefeated in every race. I will miss my teammates the most, as they are the ones who make running worthwhile. I am so proud of my team for their accomplishments this past season and can’t wait to see what they accomplish in the future.”
Field Hockey – Kaeley Hazard ’18
“Overall, being a captain for this field hockey season was so much fun and such an honor. The three other captains and I worked so well together and became incredibly close friends. Being a captain definitely came with some challenges, but having such a great team behind me made this title something I’m proud of and will never forget.”
Tennis – Olivia Carnevale ’18
“Every day from August until October, we grew not only as players but as a team. My senior year we made it to the top 20 in New Jersey, which was a huge accomplishment. I will always remember this season because in my four years on the team we never made it this far.”

Girls Soccer – Natalie Bond ’18 
“This season was one that I will never be able to forget. Although we didn’t finish with a state championship, I got to spend three months playing a sport I love with some of my best friends. This team was special: the 13 seniors were so close and the underclassmen fit right in with us. Beating Scotch Plains-Fanwood in the semifinals (and two more times before that) and ending their season is definitely a memory for the books.”
Boys Cross Country – Ethan Belka ’18
“The season went well; we had tremendous depth which definitely shows in our results. With JV going undefeated to varsity winning sectionals, it is definitely a season to remember. We were very skeptical at first about changes to our training, but we found out pretty quickly that it benefitted us in the long run.”

Volleyball – Stephanie Borr ’18
“This season was incredibly memorable and I am so happy we won counties because I’m a senior and it was my last chance. We hadn’t won since my freshman year so it was very special for everyone. I am going to miss the moments I shared with all of my teammates throughout my four years with Westfield volleyball, and I am grateful for all of the memories and friendships I have gained.”
Gymnastics – Kate Gonzalez ’18
“This gymnastics season was unforgettable and surprising. I am so proud of everyone for working together as a team and being able to win so many meets. Although we faced several injuries and tough competition, we were able to come together as a team and succeed in the end. I will miss everyone and I hope the team continues to succeed in the following years.”