NCAA Basketball Preview: Wooden Award contenders

Miles Bridges: Most scouts saw Bridges as a lottery pick in last year’s draft class, and by returning for his sophomore year at Michigan State, he is no doubt one of the best players in the country, maybe even the best outright. His dunking ability and overall pure athleticism will make him must-see-TV this season, so be sure to tune in whenever the Spartans are on.
Michael Porter Jr.: A true freshman having an immediate impact on his college team only a year after graduating from high school? Nothing new here. Regarded as the number two overall prospect out of high school, Porter had originally committed to the University of Washington, yet once Lorenzo Romar was fired as head coach, Porter Jr. flipped to Missouri. He has the versatility, shooting ability and athleticism to put him in the conversation for best player in only his first year, which will most likely be his only year as he is predicted to be drafted in the top 3 after this season.
Grayson Allen: The only thing that concerns me about Allen, a senior at Duke, is the fact that there is so much talent around him. Marvin Bagley III, Trevon Duval and Gary Trent Jr. are all regarded as top-10 prospects coming out of high school, which will definitely limit Allen and hurt him a bit in the stat books. However, Allen has the all-around talent to be the best player in the country whether he is posting the numbers or not.
Allonzo Trier: Trier was sidelined due to a suspension for using performance-enhancing drugs for a large part of last season. But when this guy was on the floor, he was performing. A junior at Arizona, Trier has yet to become a true household name, but by the end of the year he will most definitely be considered a top-10 pick in the NBA Draft, and will be in the heat of the race for player of the year. Expect Trier to step up and be a leader for one of college basketball’s powerhouse programs this year.