Ray Davies Delivers

By Becky Tunis
​Although his musical prowess is undeniably on the same level as musical giants such as Mick Jagger and John Lennon, music fans often overlook Ray Davies of the 1960’s British invasion band, the Kinks. With his performance at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ, however, Davies proved that he deserves the same appreciation as these other artists.        
Davies opened the show with an acoustic set, during which he performed Kinks hits such as “Waterloo Sunset” and “Sunny Afternoon.” The minimal instrumentals showcased his stellar vocals and allowed to audience to appreciate his stellar songwriting skills. He was later accompanied by an excellent backing band, which helped bring his songs with a harder edge to life. Songs such as “Twentieth Century Man” had the same thunderous baselines and intricate guitar solos that fans of the Kinks have always loved, as well as some new revisions to refresh these classics. His effortless delivery and charismatic stage presence made it easy to forget the Davies is 67 years old.

Although these numbers were excellent to say the least, the real fun came after a brief intermission. Davies returned to the stage accompanied by a chorus, who joined him in performing a medley of songs from the 1968 album, The Kinks Are the Village Green Preservation Society. The album, which was one of the Kinks’ least successful albums commercially, communicates Davies’ wistful longing for his childhood in suburban England.

Much like Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys’ obscure album, SmileVillage Green did not have the consumer appeal of the band’s previous works, yet it remains one of the best albums in rock music. Each song elicited in equal measure feelings of nostalgia, playfulness and musical complexity, confirming Davies’ statement during the concert that “this is the way I’ve envisioned playing these songs.” Davies’ enthusiasm while performing the medley showed that this album was his most treasured artistic achievement, with good reason.

Davies’ distinctive British accent and sense of humor colored the show and made watching the performance a pure joy. While Davies took liberties with his own work by adding new elements to his hits, he embraced the songs that made him famous. Unlike fellow artists such as Bob Dylan, who has been known to alter his work to the point of incoherence while performing, Davies’ riffs on his material only enhanced the concert.

Davies’ ability to represent such a vast array of styles while still maintaining a cohesive set is a testament to his ability as an artist. Because he is no longer as popular as he was in the 1960’s and 1970’s, Davies has the freedom to execute his artistic vision without the pressure to sell records and satisfy record companies. Instead of fading into obscurity or releasing mediocre music to appeal to younger listeners, Davies proves that he has fresh ideas to contribute to the musical community.