Field Hockey triumphs

by Katherine Jaruzelski
The WHS field hockey team finished out an impressive regular season with a 2-0 victory over Livingston on Oct. 28. Senior Quad-Captain Alie Spera scored both goals.
Spera, who is normally a midfielder but played forward for this game, scored the first goal four minutes into the game. Livingston gained possession and drove the ball back down the field, but juniors McKenna Wilson and Christina Gulla and senior Quad-Captain Kelly Gray kept them at bay. After a defensive clear by senior Quad-Captain Olivia Pecora, WHS regained possession and maintained an offensive focus for the rest of the first half.

Junior Halsey Urban began the second half with multiple scoring opportunities. Livingston regained possession, but WHS’ strong defense drove the ball back to Livingston’s circle, where Urban made two more attempts on the goal. Spera said: “Halsey Urban is kind of our go-to offensive player. She always has the best inserts into the circle and her dribbling skills are unreal.”

After several unsuccessful attempts, Spera broke through to score her second goal and the final goal of the game with seven minutes left.

Coach Caitlin MacDonald said, “We played really well; we just pressured their defense the whole time.”

Pecora added: “We pretty much dominated the whole 60 minutes that we played.…. We stayed focused and we stayed tough throughout the whole game.”

WHS lost to Phillipsburg 2-1 on Oct. 31 in the state tournament.

Spera said: “This has been the most amazing season for us. It’s the first winning season that we’ve had in a long time, and we are all extremely excited about it.”