Nine WHS seniors sign National Letters of Intent

Momentous+day%3A+Seniors+sign+the+National+Letter+of+Intent+on+Nov.+15+in+Cafeteria+B.+

Photo Kyle Henderson

Momentous day: Seniors sign the National Letter of Intent on Nov. 15 in Cafeteria B.

HS senior athletes signed their National Letters of Intent, committing to continue their athletic careers in college.

It was an exciting event, as the athletes were present with their parents and coaches—important individuals and contributers to their athletic careers. The event is one of two National Letter of Intent days; the second event will take place in February of 2019.

Ms. Sandra Mamary, Athletic Director at WHS, notes that signing day is very important and indicative of the high level of athletics featured at WHS. “It’s a big deal, because then you’ve made your decision about where you’re going to continue your education and your athletic career,” she says.

While the college-process can be stressful for the typical student, usually starting in junior year, the process for an athlete starts when they enter high school.

Mamary states that the main difference is that as an athlete, the colleges have to come to you, then you have to apply, compared to the regular application process for non-student athletes. Thus, the college process is often longer, which can make  the final product that much more special.

Senior Erica Lawrence, who is committing to Saint Joseph’s University to play softball, said that the decision to commit was a major milestone in her athletic career. “Ever since I was in second grade, I wanted to play,” she said. “That was the reason I wanted to go Division I, so finally being able to commit was an easy decision.”

Not only did the event mark an important milestone for the nine athletes, but The National Letter of Intent day also made history for WHS.

Varsity golfer Anna Bowman committed to the University of North Carolina-Greensboro, becoming the first female golfer in WHS history to commit to playing in college.

“It feels great to be the first female golfer to commit,” she said. “The girls golf team is not well known at the high school and it’s great to be able to represent the team.”

Mamary also adds that the percent of WHS senior athletes who commit to playing in college is greater than the national average.

Just last year, 50 of 200 WHS senior athletes committed to continue their athletic careers, around 25 percent.

Mamary commented on WHS’s athletic success, “It’s pretty much what we do here. We strive to be as good as we can be as a person. Not just in the classroom or out of the classroom, but as a whole person.”