WHS delegates participate at Model United Nations conference

Photo Julie Dannevig

Model United Nations Logo.

Seventeen hundred students. Seven states. Three days. At WHS, Model United Nations (MUN) is one of the most popular clubs with over 192 students participating at the conference Jan. 4-6.

Held in Hershey, PA once a year, the three-day conference hosts hundreds of high school students from the Mid-Atlantic region who are each assigned to research and debate as representatives from different countries.

In preparation for the January conference, the students, who are referred to as “delegates” at MUN, do intensive research on their country and create research papers to fully understand their stance on the issues that will be discussed.

The delegates are able to debate, resolve and delve deeply into the politics of their countries while creating meaningful relationships with one another. With a number of different committees including Legal, Political and Security and World Health Organization, delegates are able to focus on topics that they find most interesting.

MUN fosters a passion for learning, debating and interacting as delegates spend the weekend practicing public speaking and social skills. Delegates bond through teamwork to create successful resolutions and ultimately aid their countries.

As the sessions at the conference are mostly student run, it is inspiring to see fellow delegates gain confidence and work together to form new ideas. By the end of the weekend, it is clear that MUN has a lasting effect on each and every delegate.