Lego builds box-office buzz

by Danny Kuhn

The star-studded cast of The Lego Movie enhances the film with humorous dialogue; the voice actors include Will Ferrell, Will Arnett, Morgan Freeman, Elizabeth Banks, Liam Neeson and Channing Tatum. All their voices are recognizable, making it even funnier to hear someone like Liam Neeson—whom most viewers associate with his serious role as Bryan Mills in Taken—narrating his comical role as Bad Cop.

Despite many laugh-out-loud moments in the film, it is the creativity of The Lego Movie, not its humor, which makes it great. The visual effects are eye-popping; it’s a pretty incredible feat that intense action sequences can be created entirely out of Legos. Even the explosions in the movie are clusters of red and orange Lego pieces stuck together flying through the air.

The movie revolves around Emmet (Chris Pratt), a young construction worker with no “special” qualities. Emmet follows instructions diligently and has a desperate desire to fit into Legoland society. However, after stumbling upon an ancient relic, Emmet learns of a prophecy: he is told not only that will he become “the greatest, most interesting, most important person of all time,” but also that he is the only one who can stop President Business (Ferrell) from carrying out his diabolical plan. The plot is both humorous and action-packed, but the resolution is unexpected, providing in-depth insight about how people shape the world in different ways.

Lego outdid itself for advertising its product with this movie. It topped the box office during opening weekend, making $69 million, according to forbes.com. The creativity of the movie may inspire kids to create their own Lego adventures, and it is likely that parents will consider this movie when they are getting birthday gifts for their children. Brick by brick, The Lego Movie has built up Lego’s prominence and has given viewers an enjoyable time in the theaters.