Bands rock out for Sandy relief

by Jessica Ciampa
WHS will be hosting a benefit concert for Hurricane Sandy victims in the auditorium on Friday, Jan. 25. Bands include The Static Jacks, Flying Dogs of Jupiter,  Hammond,  and Transit Radio. 
Tickets cost $10 for students with their IDs and $20 for nonstudents. All money raised will be given to charities to help people who have been severely affected by the hurricane. Doors open at 6:30 p.m., and the concert will take place from 7-10 p.m.

The WHS Helping Hands Fund, a committee which is currently giving back to those affected by the hurricane, and St. Paul’s Church in Mantoloking, NJ, a congregation that serves meals throughout the day to those displaced by the hurricane, are two charities that are helping to make this concert possible.

Originally formed in 2004, The Static Jacks consisted of solely WHS students and evolved into the band they are today in 2008. 

The Static Jacks have also performed in the Brixton Academy in London with the Wombats and in Terminal 5 with Gaslight Anthem, to name a few. The band will release its second, currently untitled, album this spring and will be touring this spring and summer.

The Static Jacks band member and WHS alum Nick Brennan said,“When WHS asked us to come back and perform for victims of Sandy, we figured that’s an honor in our book.”

The Flying Dogs of Jupiter is a band formed in 1974 and was one of the pioneers of the indie genre, according to theflyingdogsofjupiter.com.

Hammond formed in 2009 and has developed a unique sound consisting of a variety of blended musical influences including rock, blues, country and pop. According to hammondband.com, “There are no musical boundaries. And that’s what Hammond is all about.” 

Transit Radio, a band consisting of five WHS students, have performed at the Westfield Festifall and Spring Fling, The Stone Pony and The Crossroads. 

“I just hope a lot of people come out so we can raise some money for the victims of this tragedy. A lot of people lost homes or loved ones. Anyway we can help is great whether it’s awareness or money,” said Brennan.

All contributions can be made out to “WHS” with “Relief Efforts” written on the memo line. Checks can be mailed to WHS  c/o Lori Scicolone. See whsbenefit.weebly.com for more details.