Jack Miller wrestles to success

by Kyle Shirk
     After a hard-fought wrestling match, some would prefer a nice milkshake and a long nap. But for WHS senior Co-Captain Jack Miller, the work has just begun. 
When Miller arrives home, his father is waiting with a videotape of his match. Jack and his father, Tom, will watch together and break down the tape. 
     “I carefully look over every match to find small details in order to be the best that I can be,” said Miller. “I’m always looking for ways to improve, whether it is my offense on my feet or pinning combinations on top.”
     For more than 70 matches and 4 varsity years, Miller’s life as wrestler has, and continues to be, a great success through hard work and aspiring dreams. 
     He made his wrestling debut as a kindergartener with the support of his parents. Since then, he has shown his devotion and commitment to wrestling. Miller is a two-time regional qualifier and a district finalist.
     Miller, who typically wrestles at weight classes of 195 and 220 pounds, has also helped lead the WHS team to much success.
     “Our lineup is looking strong, and as soon as we get our injured kids back, we will be a hard team to beat,” said Miller.  
     His motivation as an athlete is clear on and off the mat. When he is not practicing in the winter, Miller wrestles three nights a week at Apex Wrestling Club in Kenilworth. In addition to this, he wrestles in weekend tournaments at Apex and individual matches as well. With the high school team, Miller spends two weeks at summer wrestling camps, participating in more than 40 matches and practicing throughout the offseason.To add to the preparation, he actively lifts weights in the fall and spring to keep his strength intact. 
    The time and effort required to sustain such a successful career can be overwhelming. Dropping weight and staying at the proper size was certainly one of Miller’s obstacles throughout freshman, sophomore and junior years. A slim diet and daily workouts were a part of his everyday routine in the winter. However, this year he is not dropping weight and will continue to wrestle in his set weight class.
     For Miller, the long practices and active commitment to the sport are just a small part of being a wrestler.
     “There is no better feeling than getting your hand raised after a win,” said Miller. “In wrestling, you get to take full credit because you were the one who earned it and who pushed yourself throughout every grueling practice.”
     As for the future, Miller plans to compete in club wrestling at a Division One school, specifically down South. For now, the season is still underway and there is more to see out of Miller as he continues his final high school season. 
     “I love what I do and the kids I do it with. We have become a family,” Miller said. “I want to be a county, district and regional champion and end my high school career in Atlantic City on the podium.”