Annual Pink Out event was successful as WHS faced off against Livingston

Photo by Isabella Kofsky

The student section at the Pink Out game on Oct. 11

Pink Out, an annual breast cancer awareness fundraiser once again took place and Last Friday night, cheering crowds dressed in pink and filled the gymnasium.  

This year’s Pink Out was competitive as Westfield’s freshmen, JV, and varsity teams faced off against the Livingston Lancers. The Lancers were able to beat WHS’ freshmen, winning the first set 26-24 and the second set 25-18. Westfield’s JV team came back, beating the Lancers 25-16 and winning the second set 25-17. After a short serving contest to fundraise for the event, the WHS varsity team secured another victory for the Blue Devils, winning 25-19 in the first set and 25-20 in the second.

Gym teacher, volleyball coach, and Pink Out organizer Beverly Torok said before the match, “We’re donating to Pathways Women’s Cancer Support, and all proceeds stay local this year. We’re very excited to have the event this year because we didn’t last year, and we’re also playing Livingston High School for the first time [for this event].”

For all three matches, WHS and Livingston were evenly matched. However, Westfield did have some breakthroughs that led them to success in the JV and varsity games. WHS sophomore and JV player Abby Pevzner said, “We started off rough but bounced back in the second set, we had some really nice kills and had a bunch of aces. We communicated well and it was a good bonding experience.”

After the games ended, there was a survivor’s tunnel, a ceremony where both teams create a tunnel, and those who have survived or are currently fighting breast cancer run through the tunnel. 

Raffle baskets of candy, gift cards and many other sought-after items were then given out as the baskets were the source of most of the fundraising for this event. This is because, unlike in previous years, there was no charge to attend the game itself. Attendants were encouraged to donate money, or buy raffle tickets and concessions. 

WHS senior and varsity player Melissa DiDario said, “I really enjoy Pink Out, there is a lot of dedication to Pink Out with students and their families and it is a really nice tradition for a great cause.”