WHS student-athletes sign National Letters of Intent

Photo Drew Kornfeld

Athletes on signing day May 20

Thirteen WHS student-athletes assembled Friday afternoon in Cafeteria B to make their official commitments to participate in college athletics next year. A further three student-athletes were unable to attend but also had been scheduled to partake in the event.

Dressed in the colors of their future schools, the 13 in attendance stood before their family members and coaches for a series of pictures. Parents proudly snapped photos of the group of athletes, then mounted the steps of Caf B’s podium to pose separately for pictures with their children. Each student was accompanied by a placard bearing their name, sport and future school.

“This is why they work so hard,” said Athletic Director Sandra Mamary. “You can’t be prouder when you look out and you see the amount of kids that signed today.”

Gettysburg College claimed the most athletes from this batch of signees with three: Nicholas Conti signed for golf, Adam Contract for tennis and Patrick Flaherty for baseball.

The sport most represented at the event was boys lacrosse. Four WHS lacrosse players made their destinations known: Trey Constantinou is off to Stevens Institute of Technology, Duke Edmondson to Dickinson College, Kieran Koenke to Susquehanna University and Jack Walter to Wheaton College.

There were three swimmers who signed letters of intent: Ithaca College got Emma Heinze, the University of Scranton got Sarah Kennedy and Iona College got Erin McKinney.

The track department was represented on both the girls and the boys side. For the girls, Emily DiSarno committed to Providence College. The boys sent Charlie Stock to Virginia Tech and Conor Daly to Washington University in Saint Louis. 

The event made history with Owen Carolan’s commitment to the Hobart and William Smith Colleges sailing team. He became the first member of the new Westfield Sailing Club, now in its second year, to commit to college for sailing.

Chloe Kreusser committed to the Emory University basketball team and Sean Crann, a fencer, signed for Stevens Institute of Technology.

Mamary viewed the amount of signees as representative of the caliber of WHS athletics. “It’s pretty impressive,” she said.