Cars, cartoon backpacks and community service: Seniors’ last first day

Photo by Emmy Wotanowski
Seniors decorate their cars to celebrate the first day of school

WHS Seniors donned colorful cartoon backpacks as the Class of 2024 tapped back into their elementary years with fun first day senior traditions. Senior Natalie Gonzalez said, “I really liked the backpacks. It was fun to just walk around the hallways and see everyone [wearing them].”

Many seniors came in early to take pictures in the gym to not only commemorate their “last first day” but to show off their colorful accessories and child-like backpacks.

The Community Service Club did not let these backpacks go to waste; the following week there were bins set up to collect backpacks to be donated to El Centro in Plainfield. El Centro is a non-profit organization that aids in immigration and naturalization services. Backpacks were not the only change made for the Seniors’ first day of school. Decorated cars could be seen parked in the surrounding streets and the parking lot. Before the first day, seniors gathered in the former Lord & Taylor parking lot to paint their cars with fun sayings and colors.

“I liked painting the cars because everyone got together to do it,” said Gonzalez. Cars were decorated with fun sayings like “4 years later…,” “WHS,” “In-N-Out of WHS,” “Dubfield” and “Saturdays are for the Seniors.”

Most seniors are hoping to continue more fun traditions throughout the school year such as Senior Sunrise (held this morning), Senior Sunset and Senior Assassin in the spring. The Class of 2024 hopes to finish off their academic careers in Westfield on a successful and memorable note.

Agreeing, Gonzalez said, “You’re only a senior in high school once, so [the traditions are] a fun way to make the day more special and really cherish the last moments of high school.”