The man behind the clipboard

by Eric Storms

Organization, dedication and discipline. That’s what Head Coach Jim DeSarno says he’s all about. And it’s translated into success. His undefeated Blue Devils now face undefeated Bridgewater-Raritan tonight at MetLife Stadium, gunning for their first state title since Coach Gary Kehler’s legendary undefeated team in 1977.

Having grown up in North Jersey, DeSarno remembers hearing about Kehler’s team. “That team is quite possibly the best public school team that ever played in New Jersey, so it’s an honor to be mentioned with that team—not compared—because that was a very, very special team,” he said.

DeSarno is a large part of why this year’s team is in the same conversation with such a historic one. The assistant principal strives to be a teacher on the field and also likes to mix work with play.

“He fixes our mistakes while having fun at the same time,” said senior linebacker Michael O’Connor. “There are always serious parts of practice, and time for fun as well, so it’s really the perfect balance. Practices are tough in order to make games easier.”

“He’s fun when he wants to be and harsh when he has to be,” added junior kicker Michael Moriarty.

From watching game film to introducing a summer conditioning program, DeSarno has done everything he can to make sure his team is always ready to play, taking it one game at a time.

“He always tells us that he can prepare us for game time, he can give us the plays, but in the end it comes down to us and that’s something he has always put emphasis on,” said junior fullback Jacob Kaplan. “Coach says one thing before every game: ‘I know we are going to make mistakes out there, but when you do make mistakes, make them fast.’”

“His work ethic makes him successful,” said WHS Athletic Director Ms. Sandra Mamary. “He practices what he preaches. He pays attention to detail. He’s definitely a mentor to our young football players and still holds them accountable for their actions.”

Added senior tight end Chris Boutsikaris: “He pushes everyone to try and maximize their full potential. He sees something in every athlete and tries his best to put us in the best position to succeed.”

But for DeSarno, coaching is about more than just football.

“Any coach wants to set a good example. I try to set a good example in this building and on the field. I care about the kids, I care about their families, and I want them to see that,” DeSarno said. “I also want them to know that if I’m going to preach family to them that my family is important to me. They’ll see my son on the sidelines, they’ll see my daughters and my wife at games. I even snuck out this year to go see my son’s JV football games on Mondays.”

That close-knit, family environment has resonated with the players. “The whole team looks up to him and feels that he is someone we could go to if there is a problem,” Kaplan added.

Said Assistant Coach Samuel Haimann: “The culture that has been created is extremely supportive and everyone has bought into his system.”

“I’m just really proud of the kids that have come through the football program and what they’ve done in college and beyond,” DeSarno said. “So while it’s exciting and an honor to get to this point and I’m as happy and as excited as the kids are, it’s not the end-all.”

This is the furthest that DeSarno has ever made it as a coach in ten years at Westfield, five years at Kinnelon High and ten years assistant coaching before that. But for DeSarno, this game is just one of the many payoffs that come from being involved with the sport he loves.

​“It’s just something I love to do. I have a passion for it and a passion to continue to learn,” he said. “I’ve been a coach for 25 years and still want to learn how to be a better coach, so I’m still looking to get better at the craft every year. In a nutshell, my hands don’t work but my brain is wired for athletics, so this is what I want to do and this is what I think I’m put on this earth to do.”