PNC Bank Arts Center: An essential New Jersey experience

Photo courtesy of Instagram @michaelmarshall.43
WHS students at the Snoop Dogg & Wiz Khalifa concert at PNC Bank Arts Center on Aug. 2

Upon approaching Exit 116 on the Garden State Parkway, it may seem like an ordinary section of highway, but it has a much greater significance to WHS students. To them, it unlocks new adventures and continues to be a staple during the warm months. Past that exit lies PNC Bank Arts Center in Holmdel, NJ, the home of many memories and iconic concerts that take place every spring and summer.

WHS students and teachers have had exhilarating experiences at PNC, mainly because of the venue’s easy access. A popular way of traveling to these concerts is through NJ Transit. Many people will take the train either
from Westfield or from the Jersey Shore. When arriving at the venue, buses are waiting for the rush of people and then drive them to the PNC parking lot.

Another popular route is by car or party bus. During junior Olivia Lawrence’s experiences at PNC, taking a car was “much more convenient than taking the train, but there definitely was a rush to leave so that we wouldn’t get stuck in traffic.”

When deciding to buy tickets there are two options: general admission, which includes lawn access, or seats underneath an overhanging roof. General admission tickets are more popular among students because of the freedom to stand or sit anywhere on the lawn and move around.

Senior Kieran Ciarletta said, “The lawn is like one big mosh pit. Everyone is dancing, singing and having a good time.” Another appealing aspect of the lawn is its cheaper price, which ranges from $20 to $100.

PNC has a capacity of 17,500. Although this venue may seem big, many people find it easy to navigate through. Lawrence said, “I loved going to PNC because it is a small enough venue that I didn’t feel overwhelmed, but there were still a lot of people there having a lot of fun so the energy was really high.”

The venue showcases many different artists ranging from Pitbull to country artists like Sam Hunt. Last weekend, PNC hosted Zac Brown Band to close the summer season.

The variety in genres fits everyone’s music tastes. Health Teacher Kevin Everly saw Van Halen and Kid Rock at PNC. Everly said, “The concerts were amazing. We went with a lot of people, tailgated in the beginning, had some food and went to our seats to enjoy the concert.”

The PNC parking lot is pretty far from the venue and as people arrive, they are faced with a long, uphill walk. Many students attest that this is the only negative thing about their experiences at PNC. Nonetheless, this journey does not stop the students from attending concerts at this venue.

Concerts at PNC are a way to interact with many different people coming together to enjoy the music and atmosphere. Senior Bella Giacobbe said, “It’s a true New Jersey experience. Much like Wawa, you cannot live in New Jersey without going to a PNC concert. It’s a fun way to meet new people and spend time with your friends.”