‘All that Glitters is Gold’: A new take on The Bachelor

Photo courtesy of Instagram @goldenbachabc
Show poster for The Golden Bachelor

Grab some popcorn and a fuzzy blanket while tuning into The Bachelor’s newest phenomenon, The Golden Bachelor.

At its core, The Bachelor is a televised dating competition where women or men compete to win the love and attention of the bachelor or bachelorette. While the show has seen immense success, it has focused on attractive, young and middle-aged adults since 2002. This all changed Sept. 28 on ABC, when The Golden Bachelor first aired, putting a new spin on things and giving the older generation an opportunity to find true love, for a first, second or maybe even third time. This makes the show the first of its kind.

Bachelor Gerry Turner, who is 72 years young, opens the show with a glow so youthful that one would not believe he is a senior bachelor. Starting with moments of reflection on his past marriage, Turner recounts his love for his high school sweetheart who passed away in 2017 after 43 years of marriage. During this emotional moment, he tells the nation how he now wants to find another true love. He does not want a replacement, but a companion for his sunset years. As an avid pickleball player and lover of all athletics, he is looking for a partner to enhance his life and reciprocate the joyful energy he so clearly gives off.

It can be hard to go through the golden years alone, especially after experiencing the loss of a loved one. Some people choose to be by themselves through these years, believing that they have already experienced all that love has to offer. However, this show breaks that stereotype by proving it is never too late to start over. The Golden Bachelor is a reminder to the elderly and people of all ages that love does not have an expiration date. Whether it is the beginning or the end of a chapter in life, there is always room for love and companionship.

In the opening scene, Turner is shown putting on his hearing aid. Although this was a seemingly unimportant moment, it was a huge step when it comes to normalizing differences. Not only is this a win for the elderly community, but it is also a moment of representation for the deaf community as well.

The Golden Bachelor has been able to instill confidence in a new audience of people as they are no longer dedicating all of their screen time to fit and young individuals.

With contestants’ ages ranging from 60 to 75, the show demonstrates how age is not a factor when it comes to finding love. Although many people believe that youth equals beauty, The Bachelor franchise is rewriting these definitions, proving that beauty comes in all shapes, sizes and ages. Each woman, regardless of age, brings a certain energy and strength to the show making it compelling to watch. These women, seasoned with life, are able to provide a new and unique perspective into the world of The Bachelor as they have more life and dating experience than the previous contestants.

The show has also been able to bring people together and serve as a social outing for the elderly community as well. The New York Times did a feature on a senior center in Oakland, NJ, which started a watch party for elders in the community. Women in the watch party would guess “who got work done’’ while one woman named Linda Arns marveled over the bachelor’s appearance, saying, “I just fell in love with his laugh — and his blue eyes.”

At any age, it is easy to see the appeal of this show and how beneficial it is to society. Now, anyone can turn on the television to ABC on Thursdays at 8 p.m. and see that it is never too late to start over or give love a second chance.

View Comments (7)

• D

Donna EskewOct 19, 2023 at 7:46 pm

I think he is leading each one on.. just like all men do. Telling each one they have a connection and he sees a future with them. Very disappointing

Reply
  • S

Sue CrenshawOct 19, 2023 at 7:22 pm

Need to do this More often give us more chances

Reply
  • V

Victoria FontanaOct 17, 2023 at 12:07 am

I think Gerry is a wonderful human being. I wish I wasn’t 77 years old he’s the type of man I would love in my life down to earth ,caring sensitive.
    Joan was perfect for him I hope she makes it back. The lady with the wedding gown they both sat down and reminisced about their spouses and he made a portrait of them together I think she is his equal also.
    Gerry is a special man they don’t make him like him anymore and I hope he finds the right person.
    Kathy and Theresa are not it.
    Take your time Gerry I wish you the best

Reply
  • I

Iraida DizerOct 16, 2023 at 9:45 am

Garry is too sweet for me.
    Besides, he is looking not only for Love , but for a convenience as well, such as 60 miles plus 60th age.
    Moreover, this particular group of women are independent, well established and I doubt that their dreams of golden years didn’t fly higher over playing pickleball or lake house.
    I think Gerry needs different crowd, down to earth women, who will better fit him.
    No wonder women are leaving the show.
    He should better go to his home town and look around.
    There are a plenty of nice women around to chose from in the area of 60 miles from his house.
    Good luck, Gerry.!
    Iraida Dizer

Reply
  • S

S.E. TaylorOct 15, 2023 at 9:10 pm

I completely agree that as one who is not the young age of the young bachelor & bachelorettes that it is possible to find wonderful feelings & companionship as we get older!! Kudos to the voice of these episodes. A definite viewer!

Reply
  • S

Stephanie AldrichOct 15, 2023 at 5:35 pm

I don’t have a TV but I learn on my phone what’s happening. I was sorry to see Joan go because he liked her so much. I think he would have always taken a back seat in Joan’s case, and I believe that’s why he said he would move forward the very next day.

Reply
  • G

GloriaOct 15, 2023 at 3:41 pm

This show is the best. They always feature younger people, this generation still exists and sometimes I wonder why we’re put in the back burner all the time. Congratulations to ABC and the producers of this show for coming up with this idea.

Reply