A Hunger Games origin story: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

Movie+poster+for+the+Ballad+of+Songbirds+and+Snakes+
Photo courtesy of @thehungergames on Instagram
Movie poster for the Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes

The Ballad of Song Birds and Snakes, which was released in theaters  on Nov. 17, explores the early life of future Panem president Coriolanus Snow, played by Tom Blyth. This prequel to the popular Hunger Games trilogy was first introduced to the public in book form in 2020. The story and film( split into three parts labeled “The Mentor,” “The Prize” and “The Peacekeeper”) depict Snow’s ambitious uprising to power as well as an unexpected romance between him and Lucy Gray Baird, the tribute from District 12 he is set to mentor. Not only do we see how Snow came to be who he is decades later in the original Hunger Games, we get to see how the Hunger Games itself evolved from a barely watched Capitol production to a time of year every resident of the Capitol looks forward to.

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes was made to the same standard as the earlier films. Although the movie feels a bit rushed at times and the obscure ending might leave watchers wondering, it is not hard to get engrossed in the plot, characters and sets. If you are a fan of the original films and novels,  it’s easy to see parallels between characters and plot lines that add to the complexity of the franchise.

The opening scene of the movie introduces a very young Snow in the middle of the war in Panem. In future scenes of the film, one can see the Capitol returning to its former shining glory but can still see the effect of war on some buildings which adds a connection to Snow himself. Over the course of the film we watch as he attempts to rebuild his family’s lost wealth while maintaining their upper class image. Like the Capitol itself, Snow decorates himself in new clothes and puts up a front to distract people from seeing the real truth of his poor life. 

A core part of this film, with a budget of $100 million,  are the beautiful sets and costumes. According to director Francis Lawrence,  in an interview with Emily Zemler for cntravaller.com, 99 percent of the sets were real and filmed on locations in places including Berlin, Germany and Wroclaw, Poland. For some areas, like the arena itself, digital augmentation was used to create a more “broken down” look. Lawrence also directed the other Hunger Games films, which helped to create a consistency when it came to visual appearance and camera shots.

The costumes show the growing odd fashion that surrounds the Capitol as seen in the Hunger Games. These costumes are beautiful, colorful and retro enough to show the different era that the prequel takes place in. The bright colors contrast aggressively against the dark and dim colors of the districts that are shown later in the film. Baird’s costumes added a splash of color in every scene and area she is a part of, which is reflected in her buoyant and fiery personality. For majority of the film she’s seen in a blue shirt overlaid with a colorfully embroidered corset, paired with a rainbow skirt.

Music plays a huge role in the film. Certain characters like Snow and Lucy Gray Baird have been given their own theme song that ties  into their backgrounds. A Capitol-like fanfare highlights Snow whereas a stringy, indie sound backs up Baird. In scenes where they are together, often these two sounds mix, helping tie the two characters together. Dr. Volumnia Gaul, played by Viola Davis, is head gamemaker and the  villain of the film. She is often backed by a sinister and tension-filled theme that adds a strong creepy factor to her already evil character.

For Hunger Games lovers, this film brings to life a book that adds context to an important and complex character of  the trilogies. It also brings attention to parallels between the books that are fun to watch throughout the film. For example, in the reaping scene where Baird is chosen as the female tribute, she bows at the end of a shocking singing performance. This reminded many watchers of the scene in The Hunger Games where Katniss Everdeen shoots an arrow at the Gamemakers and she bows and walks out. Countless other scenes from the meaning of the title to the relationships of the characters have sparked discussion across all social media platforms, whether or not you enjoyed the films. Needless to say, The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes lands on top.