Swastika found at WHS following No Place for Hate activity period

On Dec. 21, a swastika was found in the boys bathroom in the math hallway, prompting an ongoing investigation to uncover the perpetrator and the timing of the incident.

Two weeks before the graffiti was found, No Place for Hate hosted an educational activity period about antisemitism. Students also watched a documentary about the 2018 shooting at the Tree of Life synagogue in Pittsburgh and had the option to sign a pledge against hate.

This pattern of antisemitic defamation has been a recurring issue at WHS. A number of swastikas have been drawn around WHS, including multiple transgressions during the winter of 2021.

Shortly after the symbol was discovered, Principal Mary Asfendis sent out an email to families condemning the act, explaining that it is not a representation of the school’s student body as a whole.

The email also shared that the Westfield Police Department is investigating the issue and urged anyone with information to come forward.

Asfendis told Hi’s Eye that supporting Jewish students is “the number one priority during this challenging time” and mentioned the counseling department and fellow students speaking out as a way to support students.

She also spoke about the different ways in which she feels that we combat hate here at WHS.

“We do a lot of things that are very proactive,” said Asfendis. “The responsive act is doing the investigation, looking at the bathroom logs and trying to figure out who the perpetrators were. This is one of the reasons I felt so strongly about having teachers monitor bathrooms and having kids sign in and sign out so we have more of an ability to investigate.”