Anyone But You marks the return of good rom-coms

Photo courtesy of Sony Pictures
Anyone But You movie poster

On Dec. 22, what is arguably one of the best romantic comedies since Kate Hudson’s How to Lose A Guy in Ten Days (2003), came to theaters. Starring Sydney Sweeney as Bea and Glen Powell as Ben,  the film Anyone But You follows the dramatic, yet classic, enemies-to-lovers trope while also incorporating several moments of comedic relief.

Directed by Will Gluck and released by Sony Pictures, the movie had a successful opening day, and we secured the last two seats in the afternoon showing. Despite being in the back corner of the theater with a partial obstruction of the screen, the experience was more than worth it.

Having low expectations for the movie because of the poor excuses for rom-coms that had previously come out in 2023, Anyone But You was a pleasant surprise, bringing back the typical, feel-good, rom-com. With both sweet and funny moments between Sweeney and Powell, Gluck was able to orchestrate the perfect balance between romance and comedy. However, giving credit where it is due, Sweeney and Powell were responsible for bringing the undeniable chemistry to the screen.

Starting on the wrong foot, Bea and Ben reunite when they are members of the same wedding party. Stuck in a house together for a week, they initially began fake dating to shake off Bea’s family, who were insistent on her getting back together with her ex-boyfriend. However, it does not take long for these staged feelings to turn genuine.

While the movie may not have received a perfect score from critics, to young people, this movie checks all rom-com lovers’ boxes. Anyone But You made everyone feel the spark that Bea and Ben created. The audience was truly invested in their love story. The spark left a long-lasting impression, making us yearn to live it again with a rewatch.

Anyone But You also had an impact on the online fanbase. TikTok creators are posting videos to “Unwritten” by Natasha Bedingfield, an inside joke in the film, as they walk out of the movie theater singing along gleefully.

Thankfully, Anyone But You brought back the chemistry, sets and costumes that we have missed in other modern day rom-coms. For your future viewing experience, be prepared to feel every emotion, bring your closest friends, and be prepared to sing loudly to “Unwritten.”

View Comments (1)

• S

Susan KolesarJan 16, 2024 at 4:16 pm

It was a so good! If you are under 17, bring an adult. Menlo mall was turning teens away due to the R rating.

Reply