Alix Earle’s podcast normalizes being a ‘Hot Mess’

Alix Earle’s podcast: Hot Mess

There has been a recent spark of social media influencers creating their own podcasts, especially young women in the pop culture industry. In addition to having a popular platform on TikTok or Instagram, creating a podcast draws in more attention from an audience that allows for creators to make more money

However, the way influencers are using their platforms varies, and their motives and messages have potential to cause harm or be detrimental to the many young girls that look up to them. TikToker Alix Earle, who has recently risen to fame, came out with a podcast a few months ago titled Hot Mess, and is using her platform in a healthy, beneficial way. 

A few weeks ago, Earle produced an episode on her podcast called “Anxiety: From Hospitals to Healing” in which she dove into her personal struggles as she grew up with severe anxiety. She began the hour-long episode with a personal anecdote, recalling the exact moment her anxiety stems from and continued on with many other personal stories. She spoke about the struggle of choosing whether to go on medication or not, and the embarrassment she felt due to the negative stigma around it. Earle continued by telling more stories, ranging from her childhood to her adulthood, including helpful methods of dealing with anxiety for the listeners.

Openly discussing mental health in this way deflates the stigma around anxiety, normalizing it for all of her fans. Listeners who similarly struggle are able to find comfort in her stories and can learn better ways to deal with their anxiety. Even people who do not struggle with anxiety can gain a better understanding of what it is like. This way, people can be better friends or family members by helping out. 

Earle’s podcast is still fairly new, but she has other episodes where she openly discusses other relatable struggles such as eating disorders and acne. With over six million followers on TikTok, a majority of which being teenage girls, it is safe to say that her platform has a large impact on society. Earle is a great example of how influencers can use their fame in a positive way rather than discussing pointless pop culture drama.