A play to Chekov your list

Even though winter is fast approaching, the trees are in full bloom on stage at WHS. The theater department will be putting on a production of The Cherry Orchard on the weekend of Nov. 19-21, with a matinee opening on Thursday at 4 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. shows on Nov. 20 and 21.
The play, written by Anton Chekhov, focuses on a Russian aristocratic family as they go through a period of change. “It is a story of an entire society in flux, in transition, with no one really sure of what the future will bring,” said the play’s director, Mr. Daniel Devlin.

Chekhov is not known to make the production of his plays easy, as much of the action in The Cherry Orchard happens off stage, implied through characters and dialogue but not directly seen. “The story is about transition – but we never actually see the end. We see the effects of this change, but not ‘the tomorrow,’” Devlin wrote in an email response. Much of the show is left up to the interpretation of the audience. Senior Madeline Hudelson, who will be playing the oldest woman, Lyubov, agreed, stressing that a lot of the play is left to speak for itself rather than explicitly demonstrating events.

This major theme of transition is portrayed not only in the acting, but also within the set. The theater department has gone to great lengths to portray the feeling of change that Chekov created. “The whole set is kind of abstract,” said senior and co-set designer Sarah Morton. “There’s no walls. We didn’t make 3-D trees. They’re painted onto fabric, which hangs in the air. The whole play is about change. They’re living in another world, so it’s like nothing real to them.”

Despite the intensity of the show and the difficulties Chekhov creates, the actors say that they are ready for the challenge. “I’m also extremely proud to be a part of a department that doesn’t shy away from such a challenge,” said senior Frank Guerriero. “The fact that Mr. Devlin believes we’re capable of this, and that we haven’t ever used the difficulty of the show as an excuse for any shortcoming, these are both things I’m very proud of.”