Golden goal goes to Elizabeth

Written by Shanna Kelly

After a full game and double overtime, the WHS boys varsity soccer team took a tough loss to Elizabeth in the Union County Tournament semifinal round at Arthur L. Johnson High School on Oct. 24. With a final score of 1–0, the golden goal in the second overtime went to Elizabeth on a shot to the bottom right corner of the net.

Westfield had previously played Elizabeth on Oct. 3 and Oct. 13. Elizabeth came out with a win in both games with final scores of 1–0 and 3–1. The stakes were set high for the Blue Devils heading into this semifinal game, but they definitely held their own from the first whistle to the last.

Said senior Co-Captain Luke Beaulieu: “I don’t think there is much we could have done better…. We had good possession at times, our defense was solid, and we created chances, but we were just unlucky in the end.”

Head Coach Eric Shaw also noted the quality of the opponent. “They are a good side,” he said. “We knew it would not be easy. We fought 93 minutes but fell a little short.” The game started with quick touches by both teams and an early cross by Loukas Carayannopoulos that led to a shot by Beaulieu. Junior Cullen Birkel had a save early on after an Elizabeth player beat three Westfield defenders. According to nj.com, Birkel had a total of 14 saves during the game.

The halftime whistle was blown during Elizabeth’s attack at the 15-yard line, leaving Elizabeth’s players furious. After halftime, Westfield returned to the field leaving the crowd on the edge of their seats as both Beaulieu and junior Owen Prybylski had breakaways toward Elizabeth’s net.

The second half consisted of Elizabeth’s shots going right to Birkel’s hands, including an indirect kick from 30 yards out. In addition, a yellow card went to Elizabeth and senior Mike Mobarakai had a sliding save as Birkel was dragged off his line. By the end of the second half, there was still no score. Senior Co-Captain Sam Karnofsky started the first 10-minute overtime with a 30-yard shot right off the bat. In both overtimes, Westfield came out ready to attack as well as defend. Said Birkel, “As a keeper my mindset doesn’t change in overtime.”

The game came to a close in the second overtime with a breakaway by Elizabeth. Said Karnofsky: “The game came down to one unlucky play in double overtime. It was anyone’s game.” Elizabeth will continue on to play Scotch Plains-Fanwood in the Union County Tournament finals tonight at Kean University.

But with states starting on Nov. 3, WHS is not quite done with its season. Said Shaw: “First we need to move on. We cannot dwell on something that is over. Our mental state needs to be in the right place for our first state game.” With an eye on the tournament ahead, Beaulieu said: “I think you can expect a good run from us in states. The boys aren’t ready to end the season just yet and I think we will bounce back after [this] loss.”