Forensic Science grant opens doors

Forensic Science Teacher Ms. Susan Terra was presented with a $2,000 grant by Voya Financial for DNA analysis equipment on Oct. 21. She was one of 100 chosen out of 1,000 teacher applicants.

The grant will provide students with the opportunity of witnessing electrophoresis first hand. Electrophoresis is a process by which electricity is used to separate DNA fragments by size as they move through the gel matrix, according todnalc.org.

“I applied for this grant and others because I want the best experience for my students in my classes,” Terra said. “Students will now be able to work with actual equipment used by many professionals in the biochemistry and molecular biology fields, exposing students to STEM fields.”

The project will provide Terra’s students with STEM career experiences, in addition to meeting the new Next Generation Science Standards. Students will be allowed to separate, visualize and analyze DNA in a new light.

Terra said, “In the future, I see more forensic students performing molecular biology activities, the same activities that many AP Biology students participate in.”

This new equipment is expected to arrive later this year; it is currently in the process of being ordered.