Devils Win Division

by, Jared Glassman

​As Westfield took the field on Saturday against North Hunterdon, the team knew they were only one win away from clinching the Watchung football division. The Blue Devils followed through in commanding fashion, with a 45–6 win.

For most of the day, juniors Philip Martini and Jack Shirk had strong chemistry in the passing game. Martini had a 20-yard pass to Shirk early in the game to set up a Jack Curry touchdown. And later Martini hit Shirk with a 10-yard pass for a touchdown. Said Martini, “Lately, we have had a lot of good connections.” He added that this connection is most likely due to the fact that they have been playing football together since third grade.

The game’s turning point came when Westfield was already up a touchdown, and junior Jeffrey Gagum intercepted a pass that Jacob Kurstedt had deflected on North Hunterdon’s first drive. Westfield’s lead only grew from there, as senior punt returner Jelani Pierre put on some impressive moves to take a 62-yard return to the house early in the second quarter.

The defense played extremely well and only gave up one touchdown to North Hunterdon in the second quarter, which came on a trick play. Said senior linebacker Owen Colwell, “It’s at that point of the season where teams are going to start emptying their playbooks and we have to be prepared for more plays like that to come.” After the touchdown, North Hunterdon tried an onside kick but failed, increasing the WHS lead.

Head Coach Mr. Jim DeSarno said that the team knew that a division title was there for the taking. “[It is] important for the team to know what’s at stake each week.” The Blue Devils look to continue their undefeated season at 1 p.m. tomorrow as they take on Watchung Hills at Kehler Stadium.