Dua Lipa’s album Radical Optimism sparks new pop hits

Photo courtesy of @dualipa
Dua Lipa’s Radical Optimism album cover

On May 3, Pop Artist Dua Lipa released her third studio album Radical Optimism. This upbeat album that delivers anthemic and danceable songs keeps the pattern of her previous albums. Lipa told forbes.com, “I want to capture the essence of youth and freedom and having fun and just letting things happen, whether it’s good or bad. You can’t change it. You just have to roll with the punches of whatever’s happening in your life.”

Although sharing some similarities with her previous albums, Lipa introduced a fresh sound to her audience and attempted a different approach going into recording. “Rather than relive the disco days of the last LP, Lipa went into recording Radical Optimism with an emphasis on classic Britpop and electropop sounds,” according to forbes.com.

The single “Training Season” reflects this very sound, with a catchy chorus that has been circulating on social media platforms like TikTok. Songs she released as a precursor to the album such as “Houdidi” and “Illusion” similarly demonstrate this shift.

Lipa begins her album with “End of an Era,” which encapsulates a feeling of excitement for a new time and a possible new love interest. The pop beat of this song continues in the following tracks like “Houdini.”

Themes of what qualities a person needs to be deserving of her love are featured in “Training Season,” as well as more heartfelt songs like “Anything For Love.” Despite its slower pace, the song still features pop notes, continuing to emphasize the feelings of her experiences in her life, both positive and difficult.

Lipa’s career has spanned a decent amount of time, with her first album being her self-titled album in 2017 and Future Nostalgia released in 2020. Despite Lipa not releasing an album in four years, she has managed to keep her reputation alive and positive.

Being endorsed by designer brands, such as Yves Saint Laurent Beauty and Versace, has made her a role-model of not only the music industry, but also of the beauty and fashion world.

Radical Optimism provides multiple Lipa-classic hits for fans and listeners. Though Lipa reached into a new sound, it still ties in seamlessly with her past music and reinforces the image of a 2024 pop star.