Volleyball thinks pink

by Kate Helander & Sydney Barber
We all remember weeks of videos of our friends dumping ice water on their heads for ALS research. And we all remember how all of a sudden, the phenomenon just stopped. However, some charities, like WHS’ Pink Out for breast cancer research, have stayed strong, gaining more momentum for years.

Pink Out, which benefits Susan G. Komen for the Cure, doesn’t just happen overnight.  According to senior player Gabby Cofone, the girls on the team start planning their most anticipated event in August. According to Coach Torok, once the teams are decided, the players solicit sponsorships and donations after practice. Pink Out receives several silent auction items every year, including a Volvo this year, in addition more than 70 raffle baskets. Most of these are donated by willing sponsors and companies who want to support the event.

Said second-year co-chair and seventh-year participant Ms. Elizabeth Cofone: “It takes a whole village to do this. It’s rewarding to bring this whole event together.” Her daughter, Danielle Cofone and classmate Gab Cerami ‘10, started Pink Out in 2009 as seniors and co-captains at WHS in response to Head Coach Beverly Torok’s diagnosis with breast cancer.

Although Torok is now cancer-free, the team carries on the tradition .At the end of the game, Pink Out hosts a Survivor Walk, which honors survivors and those currently battling the disease. Torok said: “That’s really what the night is about. It’s about awareness…. Many of the women this year were in different stages and we made a tribute to a few women who had lost their battle.”

This, according to sponsors, players, and fans, is the heart of the event. Bill Avello, owner of popular club team, Crush Volleyball, said the event’s success is largely due to the personal attachment people have to the cause. Avello said breast cancer is “so widespread it doesn’t have to be direct, everyone is affected by it in some way.”

Senior player Rachel Holt agreed: “I think that being able to relate to someone…and not just [playing] a volleyball game really adds to the success,” said Holt.

Even younger players are touched by the cause. Eighth-grade volleyball player Abby McKinney, who wanted to honor her grandmother who had breast cancer, came to the event and helped. She plans to continue playing in high school.

The event also is financially successful. Last year alone, the event raised $40,000, and this year, $30,000 have been raised so far, with several events yet to come.

Maybe it’s the girls, maybe it’s Coach Torok’s personal connection, but it’s undeniable that the WHS Pink Out has the magic touch.