Artist voices

by Olivia Loggia

Paintbrushes, silkscreens, collages, oh my! Not only was the artwork in this year’s art show diverse, but so were the artists who produced this work. Here’s a snapshot of the ideas of the artists involved:

Austin Hinel, grade 12: “I love art because it gives an everyday individual the opportunity to express themselves and their opinions about the world. I liked being represented in the art show because it was a chance to show my work, talent, and general passion with the student body, and others who visit the art show.”

Evan Binder, grade 10: “I hope to someday be a good enough artist to convey scenes from my imagination as if they were captured from reality.I don’t really have any big artistic inspiration besides my sister. She has taught me much about the world, and has cultivated my love of art. When I was younger, watching her creation process felt magical.”

Connie Wu, grade 11: “I like to paint things that interest me. I try to find things that have nice angles, nothing really specific. Shapes that are interesting—random, but absurd.”

Madeline Flaherty, grade 11: “I’m in graphics, the class whose exhibit is facing all the controversy in the media. I did make a silkscreen, but it was for the modern technology installation. [Concerning that issue,] I think everyone’s entitled to their own opinion, and I think that adults need to recognize that when reviewing student work. That being said, I don’t think some of the silk screens were the most peaceful… but I do think that protesting through art is something that should be respected.”

Anthony Butera, grade 7: “I take art because it allows me to express myself in an intangible way. [In the art show,] it was amazing to see how different people interpreted their own thoughts and feelings. I loved how people took their time to appreciate student work.”

Emily Mordkovich, grade 11: “I’m excited for everyone to see what I’ve accomplished this year after I applied everything I have learned in my art class.”

Celia Lanza, grade 8: “I took art class because it’s always something I’ve enjoyed doing. The class influenced me by teaching me new drawing and painting techniques. [For that reason,] being in the art show was great because everyone could see all the hard work you put into your art.”