Girls lacrosse tops Mendham

by Sam Bromberg

​In a close game, girls lacrosse pulled through with a 10–9 win against Mendham on April 25.

The game began with senior quad-captain Sam Paoletti’s goal, setting the competitive tone for the first half. Paoletti scored the second goal at 9:50, assisted with a strong pass from sophomore Hannah Liddy.

Westfield kept up the high energy with a goal by Liddy, accompanied by solid defense from sophomore Sam Alfano and junior Shelby Taylor, which was key to Westfield’s success. At just under 16:00 into the first half, junior Hallie Rosenberg beat a defender and scored. Four minutes later, Mendham scored two goals in quick succession, bringing the score to 4–2.

However, WHS’s momentum slowed down toward the end of the first half, allowing Mendham three more goals to end the half at 4–6. But when the second half began, Westfield returned with their original strength. Rosenberg scored immediately starting the half, followed by a goal by Paoletti three minutes in. Rosenberg then tied up the score at 7–7 with 16 minutes to go.

Freshman Sydney Paoletti scored to give Westfield the lead, and soon after, senior quad-captain Lauren D’Amico also scored a goal. However, with eight minutes left on the clock, Mendham was able to bring the game to a tie at 9–9.

Liddy scored the determining goal with 1:30 left in the game, giving Westfield the win. Said senior quad-captain Mallory Weisse: “
I am so proud of this team, and going forward it is about leaving everything on the field. Going into states and county’s, you don’t have to win by a large margin; it only takes one goal to separate the winners from losers.”