Fantasy sports

by Jared Geoghan

Late March is a time of anticipation and excitement for sports fans. With the NCAA tournament beginning earlier this week, millions of college basketball fans have filled out their brackets.

The undefeated and dominant Kentucky Wildcats are the odds-on favorites to be crowned national champions. Led by SEC Freshman of the Year Karl-Anthony Towns and SEC Defensive Player of the Year Willie Cauley-Stein, the Wildcats are likely to cruise through the early stages of the tournament until a possible meeting with a hot Maryland team in the Sweet 16.

The Wisconsin Badgers and National Player of the Year contender Frank Kaminsky will also be formidable contenders, along with fellow POY candidate Jahlil Okafor and Duke.  The Blue Devils feature a stud freshman trio of Okafor, Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones, and has endless offensive firepower.

Also look out for a red-hot Notre Dame squad, fresh off an ACC Tournament title that saw the Irish upset Duke and take down North Carolina. Louisville is always a threat in March, and the Cardinals are still poised and strong defensively despite the loss their star player Chris Jones.

Another variable in this year’s tournament is likely to be the so-called “diaper dandies”. The Duke trio, along with Towns, his teammate Devin Booker, Maryland’s Melo Trimble, and James Blackmon of Indiana, are all playmakers and can take over games.  These freshmen will all make noticeable impacts beginning this week.

The Cinderella days of Ali Farokhmanesh and Northern Iowa are over.  Now, the Panthers are an established contender and a five-seed following an impressive 30-3 season, with losses only to VCU, Wichita St. and Evansville.  As upsets happen every year, be on the lookout for well-coached Buffalo, experienced Dayton and dynamic Davidson to pull off a shocker in the second round of what is sure to be yet another exciting edition of March Madness.

In the end, Kentucky is too deep and too consistent to be upset in the tournament. The Wildcats will not face a significant threat until the Final Four, where Kaminsky could face off with Towns in what will just be another road bump in their ultimate perfect season.