Post-grad options:students try new routes

by Kelly WebberChoosing a college is often viewed as a rite of passage for a senior, especially at schools like WHS where, according tonj.com, 94.7 percent of students attend a two- or four-year college.However, some students opt to instead embark on career paths that require experience other than the traditional college route. This might mean not going to college, or taking a gap year between high school and college. There are many opportunities to pursue after high school, and all should be valued equally.
One reason for alternative post-graduation options is economic. Encouraging financial independence should be a priority, especially for young adults entering the “real world.” With all the expenses required for college, it makes sense to get a job, whether full-time or part-time, after high school. According to time.com, fewer than 40 percent of college students graduate within four years, largely due to high tuition rates. It is practical to take some time off to earn money for tuition. Alternatively, if college is not a part of one’s plan, then a long-term career may arise from post-high school jobs.
In addition to the practical reasons for non-college options, choosing to pursue personal interests and goals should be given more value. For example, traveling abroad or volunteering are both popular uses of this time. Many students with plans to join the military often find that four more years of school are neither practical nor necessary. Each individual has different aspirations, so how post-graduate years are spent should be different, too.
Perhaps instead of assuming that everyone aspires to attend college, the focus of seniors’ conversations should be on future plans in general. Even if a student plans on enrolling in college after his or her gap year, that experience should be valued equally to college experience. While college can be an incredible time of learning in and out of the classroom, it is amazing how some continue their education without a school environment.