Boys lax dominates

by Jessica Koenigsberg

​The Westfield boys lacrosse team claimed victory over Allentown with a 16–1 win last Friday.
Led by seniors and Quad-Captains Pat Aslanian, Luke Prybylski and Kyle Rittendale, who each scored hat tricks, the Blue Devils maintained possession for the majority of the game.

The first quarter started smoothly with mostly back-and-forth play. Junior Brandon Leuthold scored the first point for Westfield, and as the game progressed, it was clear that Allentown would prove  no match for the Blue Devils.

Westfield took advantage of the minimal defensive pressure by the Redbirds, and a number of players stepped up to shine. Aslanian and Prybylski scored two goals each in the beginning of the second quarter. In addition, Rittendale was able to take advantage of the lack of defensive pressure, scoring in plenty of open space.

The boys were able to maintain constant possession throughout the game. Aslanian attributed this to midfielder Jack Cash’s success in winning face-offs.

Five minutes before halftime, junior Owen Colwell brought the ball upfield to Rittendale, who flicked it to junior James Bohlinger for a quick goal and a 6–0 lead.

Freshman Jake Wornow later added a goal with 3:45 left in the half. After another quick goal by Prybylski, the first half was coming to a close, but the Redbirds were able to respond with their first goal of the game to close out the half.

But the Blue Devils came out charging in the second half. Within minutes, goals were scored by Aslanian and Prybylski with little defensive pressure from the Redbirds.

Junior Matt McIlroy and senior Jack Simcox were also able to hold back the Redbirds in the backfield. According to Aslanian, the defense was the Blue Devils’ added advantage, because they were able to cause multiple turnovers.

With a 12–1 lead, Simcox added a goal to open the fourth quarter for the Blue Devils. With assistance from junior Owen Colwell, Mike Moriarty scored at the 8:30 minute mark. Leuthold and junior Blake Taylor padded the Blue Devils’ victory with goals to close out the game.

The team will be playing Ridgewood High School tomorrow at 1 p.m. in Ridgewood.