Star Wars fans debate intellectual property

by Kelly Webber
A long time ago in a galaxy not too far away…director and writer George Lucas stunned the world with the first installment in the Star Wars saga.
Now, 38 years later, Lucas has sold the creative rights of Star Wars to Disney, whose Episode VII: The Force Awakens, is to be released Dec. 18 this year. When Lucas sold creative rights, he made the decision to end his involvement with the franchise. Though fans were disappointed, they should respect Disney’s creative authority.

According to imdb.com, the film was directed by J.J. Abrams and the screenplay was written by Abrams and Lawrence Kasdan. Lucas was credited for his characters, but according to theguardian.com, none of his ideas for the new sequel were used. The premise of the saga is not Disney’s original creation, but The Force Awakens is its own. To disrespect that is detrimental to the series’s future.

Think of it this way: if J.K. Rowling were to sell the rights to a ninth Harry Potter movie to Disney, no one would expect the film to match the magic of the books’ mythology. It’s not fair to put unrealistic expectations on a Disney production that will be entertaining in its own right.

The Force Awakens may not live up to the hopes of fans, but that shouldn’t keep viewers from appreciating the film for what is: an homage to the iconic franchise. The first three films have been etched into cinematic history. Despite the hype, many were disappointed with the prequel movies, beginning with Episode I: The Phantom Menace, 22 years after Episode IV. The prequels are widely perceived as a disappointment to the saga and its fans. This criticism brings to question whether anything in the franchise can match the original trilogy.

Will Disney’s interpretation rise above its predecessors in terms of adventure, innovation or world-building? Probably not. It’s time to accept that the era of Yoda and Skywalker has passed, and to appreciate this new installment as a throwback rather than a competitor.