NFL Playoffs pave path to Super Bowl 

By Melanie Snyder
The NFL playoffs began this Saturday with a pair of wild card games. Saturday, the Baltimore Ravens defeated the Pittsburgh Steelers 30–17 with three touchdowns in the final three quarters from Bernard Pierce, Torrey Smith and Crockett Gilmore.
Also on Saturday, the Carolina Panthers beat the Arizona Cardinals 27–16. The Cardinals only gained 78 yards of total offense: the fewest in playoff history, according to cbssports.com. Sunday, the Indianapolis Colts triumphed over the Cincinnati Bengals 26–10, highlighted by Donte Moncrief’s 36-yard touchdown pass from Andrew Luck in the third quarter, according to espn.go.com. Later, the Dallas Cowboys beat the Detroit Lions, 24–20. The Cowboys made a comeback in the second half with touchdowns by DeMarco Murray and Terrance Williams and two fumble recoveries by DeMarcus Lawrence.

The AFC divisional round begins with the Ravens at the New England Patriots tomorrow, followed by the Colts at the Denver Broncos Sunday. The Ravens and the Patriots last played each other in December 2013, with Baltimore losing 41–7. The Colts hadn’t lost to the Broncos since 2005, but last September, the Broncos got revenge with a 31–24 win, according to pro-football-reference.com.

The NFC divisional round begins as Panthers take on the Seattle Seahawks tomorrow. Sunday, the Cowboys will play the Green Bay Packers. The teams have met three times since 2009, with the Packers victorious each time, according to pro-football-reference.com.

The NFC and AFC Championship games will be held Jan. 18.