Sewing club starts stitching

By Meghan Pettit

With Black Friday deals and the holidays around the corner, many people are busy shopping for clothes at the best prices available; meanwhile, the WHS Sewing Club is hard at work designing and making its own clothing and accessories.

The purpose of the club is to provide a place for WHS students to learn how to sew, as well as improve their sewing skills, according to whs.westfieldnjk12.org. The club was founded this year by juniors Greta Crandall, Sarah Davis, Izzy DePalma and Jessica Zimmerman.

The club welcomes anyone; however, each member is required to own his or her own sewing machine, according to Zimmerman. She also noted that those who join should be willing to commit to the club’s schedule.

According to whs.westfieldnjk12.org, the Sewing Club meets every other Friday from 3–5 p.m. and every Sunday from 12–2 p.m.

To showcase the work of the members in the club, they plan to have a fashion show at the end of the year, according to Crandall. She also mentioned that they plan to use the show as an opportunity to benefit the community.

Said Sewing Club Adviser Ms. Hillary Haskell: “Part of their goal… was to use the club to produce either clothing, or funds or something that would give back to the community, and I thought that was a really cool focus for the club…. It was inspiring and also motivating.”

With designing and creating clothing comes the need for materials. According to Zimmerman, frequent trips to FabricLand are made and everyone chips in on expenses. DePalma added that the club also plans to hold bake sales to raise money for needed materials.

“I think that the [Sewing Club] is an opportunity for people to learn…and for people to use their skills to teach. I love that aspect of it, and I’m really excited about where they’re going,” said Haskell.

Said Davis about her participation in the club, “My passion is sewing and designing, and I like the idea of other people with the same passions being able to be in a club together.”