Powderpuff returns from the sideline

Written by Kim Burns
Thursday, 27 November 2014 00:06
The junior and senior girls will be trading in their field hockey sticks, tennis rackets and pom-poms for a place on the gridiron next Wednesday for the annual Powderpuff Game. The event will take place at Kehler Stadium at 2 p.m., where the girls will square off in a game of touch football.
Powderpuff is one of many activities WHS will be putting on for Homecoming. According to Senior Class Adviser Ms. Jillian Scott, the WHS community should support their school and their peers by attending the game.
The current senior girls did not have an opportunity to play last year due to the weather conditions. Said senior participant Rita Murphy, “The seniors are just looking forward to being able to play and that will motivate them.”
According to junior Brett Robertshaw, the juniors’ assistant coach, each class will practice once before the game in order to determine positions.  After the positions are decided, the coaches will show the players techniques, plays and positions to prepare them to take the field.
Junior participant Gwyn Devin said, “The strategies we will use to win involve constant speed and hustle as well as some secret plays to trick the seniors.”
As competitive spirit begins to rise, the game has become a topic of debate. Said senior Offensive Line Coach Nick Costa, “The seniors will be better coached and will execute plays better.”
Junior participant Maddie Hudelson said the juniors will win because “we possess wit and humor as a grade, which will be a huge weapon in order to psych the other team out.”
Added Junior Class Adviser Ms. Krista Stefanski,“I am most looking forward to seeing the girls go out there and give it their all.”