Bakeries get cookin’

by Georgia Slater 

Just in time for the sugar rush of the holiday season, Westfield got a little bit sweeter with the recent addition of Gigi’s Cupcakes, Brownie Points and the reopening of Crumbs Bake Shop.

For the winter season, Gigi’s Cupcakes is selling its cupcakes at Uncle Louie G’s Italian Ices and Ice Cream at 57 Elm St. Ms. Gigi and Ms. Nicole Gallodoro, sisters and owners of Gigi’s, have been creating cupcakes since 2004 and opened up their first store in Maplewood. While the bakery is a currently a pop-up location, Gigi’s hopes to find a permanent home, according to westfieldtoday.com.

Said Nicole Gallodoro: “Once customers taste our products they love us and become a Gigi’s fan.”

Across town, Brownie Points Bakery, recently opened at 339 South Ave. W., offers not only a clever name, but also many dessert options. According to westfieldtoday.com, owners and Westfield residents Mr. Bob Conway and Mr. Peter Lloyd opened up their first store in 2008 in Summit.

Said Conway: “Living in Westfield, I’ve always dreamed of opening up a store here. Once we found a location we were so excited to share our
sweets with the community.”

The bakery will offer classic American desserts such as their signature duffins (doughnut-muffins), cupcakes, whoopie pies, as well as beverages, including organic coffee and espressos.

Crumbs Bake Shop has reopened under new management at 130 E. Broad St. They will offer traditional cupcakes like red velvet and cookies and cream, in addition to gluten-free desserts, according to westfieldtoday.com. Said manager Ms. Megan Tosato, “We are trying to turn Crumbs into a… dessert destination as opposed to just a cupcake shop.”

For more information, visit the bakeries’ Facebook pages or websites, or stop by for a sweet treat.