Bowling team spares a loss

by Elli Warsh

The bowling team fell to Cranford High School Dec. 10, with a final score of 7–0. Cranford totaled 2,658 pins, while Westfield knocked down 2,284.

Coach Ralph Corey said: “Unfortunately, our team did not play to their potential….At this time, I am working on their technique, teaching them the spare system and developing their mental strength [for] the game.”

The first game started off steadily with back-and-forth scoring between Westfield and Cranford, but Cranford came out on top. Senior Co-Captain Sebastian Rojas said, “As a team, we were all struggling, and we were not hitting the numbers that we were supposed to hit.”

Rojas scored the highest for Westfield in the first game, with a 201, as compared to his career best of 276, according to highschoolsports.nj.com. He added: “Individually I feel that I did not do my part as a team anchor. I was not mentally focused, and I did a poor job to help my team when they needed me most.”

Senior Jake Rabinowitz had a strong performance in the first game, not beating his personal best, but coming close. He said, “As a new bowler, I have a lot to improve on, and as a team, we are young and relatively new to the sport, so there are spots that we can improve.”

In the second game, Westfield made up for its loss, with junior Co-Captain Tavis Brunson shattering his previous best, with a score of 247, according to highschoolsports.nj.com.

As Westfield struggled to catch up, Cranford kicked into high gear in the third and final game. Cranford’s Rickey Poszyler bowled a solid 215, and his teammates followed shortly behind. Corey said, “I expect, like last season, for our players to improve, compete and challenge our competition by counties and sectionals.”
Westfield bowled against Elizabeth the following day, and lost 5–2. Rojas said: “There are only three things that should be on your mind [as you play]: you, the ball and the pins. All of those loose screws [must be] tightened very soon if we want to see states this year.”