Hockey shuts out

by Sam Bromberg

The hockey team was on fire in the chilly Warinanco Park ice rink on Dec. 10, ultimately leading to a 10–0 mercy against Oratory Preparatory in the third period. With persistent offensive pressure and tight defense, it was impossible for Oratory to get even a single shot on goal.

The team opened with strong offense against a weak Oratory, keeping the puck consistently on the offensive side. Four minutes into the first period, junior Luke Hiltwein was the first to score, shooting from the far outside left. The shots continued in quick succession, leading to goals by freshman Matt Cetlin, another by Hiltwein, junior Matt Macik and freshman Matt Rittendale to end the first period with a 5–0 lead.

The second period started with the same offensive pressure, with freshman Kenneth Meyer scoring three minutes into the period off assists from Hiltwein and senior captain Andrew Marino. Six minutes later, freshman Sean Taylor scored two goals within one minute of each other. Rittendale scored his second goal to end the period, increasing Westfield’s lead 9–0.

With seven minutes left in the third period, Taylor ended the game with his third goal, resulting in a mercy. “We got the job done and ultimately won the game, giving us one more point for the county  [tournament], which is vital,” said Marino.

Despite the win, the team has a lot of challenges ahead. After the game, Head Coach Joe Bertucci said, “Next game, we have to be better in the offensive zone. We have to move the puck quicker and generate more quality shots on goal….We have to shoot for rebounds and score on our opportunities.”

The team will be playing Princeton at 7 p.m. today at Hobey Baker Rink.