PTSO promotes mural program

By Paige Carlin

Although dotted with a few works of student art, the hallways of WHS are still incomplete. To further beautify the hallways, the WHS PTSO is promoting its mural-painting program, an ongoing initiative that began last September.

The PTSO is hoping that its program will initiate more student interest and satisfy the student body.

“The Student Mural Program was developed based on student feedback that the hallways around WHS are bland and monotonous,” said PTSO Co-President Ms. Marie Sloan. “To that end, we have reached out to students for feedback on ways the PTSO can enrich and enhance the school environment for students.”

In the past, students have taken advantage of this opportunity and used their artistic talent to help brighten the halls. Senior Anna Reid said this opportunity should not be disregarded. Reid helped paint the mural outside the auditorium last year and is planning to paint again this year.

She added, “Art beautifies any environment, and it is even more powerful when it is generated by students.”

Senior art student Austin Hinel said he is looking forward to participating in this program.

“I would want to paint something socially relevant to our era in time so future generations can look back and see the history that surrounds WHS,” he said.

To get involved, students must fill out an application on the PTSO homepage. It includes the submission of an estimated cost of supplies and a sketch of the mural. Murals can be painted by individuals or groups.

Said PTSO Vice President Ms. Alayne Morgenthal: “Having the students create their own artwork speaks wonderfully to the talent we have at WHS and allows the students to show their own creativity.”