Candy Crushed (my spirit)

By Claudia Romeo
You know what sucks? Being a lollipop. Especially on Halloween. Year after year the humans put me in this bowl, and year after year no one chooses me. I guess I just don’t appeal to the kids. 

Whenever Halloween approaches, the humans go shopping and come back with Good and Plenty of new candies to give away. They dump them into the bowl, then find me somewhere in the cabinet leftover from last year.

Believe me when I tell you that there is nothing more annoying than candy experiencing their first Halloween. They talk non-stop about which costumed kids’ day they’ll sweeten. I Tootsie Roll my eyes and try not to listen, otherwise my heart will break into a million Reese’s Pieces.

To be honest, I don’t understand why no one wants me. Not only am I a nice piece of eye-candy, but I have the personality to match. My friends gave me the nickname of LOL-lipop. Everyone else in this bowl is a bunch of personality Milk Duds.

I feel like such a Dum Dum. Being a four-year-old lollipop that hasn’t been chosen on Halloween is downright embarrassing.
But tonight will be different; I know it. Whether it be a cowboy or a princess, I know I’m going to be chosen. Today will be my Payday.

So for those of you who are trick–or –treating tonight,please, just pick the lollipop to bring me the Mounds of Almond Joy.