Scandal strikes Sayreville

by Claudia Romeo
Amid news of the football team hazing scandal at Sayreville War Memorial High School, there has been much debate about the environment surrounding student-athletes and the role of their coaches.

Hazing is a serious issue prohibited by law. The bullies in Sayreville deserve the punishment they received, including the cancellation of their season, loss of scholarships and criminal charges. While it was the players who directly participated, and whose behavior is completely unacceptable, bystanders and coaches also bear blame.

Prevalent mostly in college Greek life, hazing, which entails both psychological and physical abuse, is a widespread affair in which many groups participate to establish a hierarchy and create a sense of belonging, according to njit.edu.

The Sayreville coaches played a significant role in these crimes. It is their responsibility to instill positive traits in their athletes, such as dedication and commitment. Those of us who have had good coaches know the tone they set for a team. The environment they create should be positive, trusting and safe.

For the coaches to claim they were not aware of the abuse occurring in the locker room is both unrealistic and absurd. Coaches have an immense responsibility, and it is these men’s jobs to know what happens in the locker room and to do something about it. To have missed something as big as this is unlikely; thus, the coaches should be held liable.

While the media’s blame on the players is justified and valid, it is important to remember that both bystanders and coaches played just as much of a role in the sexual abuse of these boys.

This horrific occurrence should be a call action to high schools around the country to make sure their teams are in check. As a strong community of student-athletes, Westfield has the power to set a standard for supportive, healthy team relationships, and we should do just that.