Flag league puts fun in fundraising 

by Erica Millwater

​A flag football league, organized by senior Eli Wirtshafter, is scoring touchdowns this fall in support of friendly competition and the Special Olympics.

According to Wirtshafter, who started the league last year, this opportunity provides an outlet for students to get involved while having a positive impact on others.
   Said Wirtshafter: “Last year, we had just about 50 players; this year we are at about 85.”
   The league also provides an opportunity for students who normally would be too old to play in an organized flag league, which generally ends in eighth grade, to get involved, according to freshman Joe Lotano.
   Said Lotano: “It is a fun environment. I look forward to it every week.”
   “There’s no stress, and there’s no commitment…so people just come out here, have fun and support a charity,” said Wirtshafter.
   According to Wirtshafter, any high school students from Westfield could participate as an alternate to the traditional sports stucture. There was an entry fee to support the charity, and then a draft to form the teams.
   The league also had shirts made to wear during their games held on Sunday mornings at Franklin School.
   Students can participate as coaches, or as players, according to Wirtshafter. Many of the coaches are varsity football players.
   “I love coaching because I get to share my…knowledge of the game with my teammates,” said junior Tim Norris.
   Said senior player and coach Danny Mitchell, “My team has a lot of potential and I feel like we have enough talent to make a serious run at the title this year.”
   In addition to fun on the field, last year the league raised $3,000 for the Special Olympics, and it raised $4,500 this year, according to Wirtshafter.
   There are plans to make the league even more charitable and get the players more involved in the charity beyond just their entry fee donation, according to Wirtshafter.
   The league hopes to organize a joint game with Special Olympics athletes, according to Wirtshafter.
   He added, “It would be awesome because it would make the charitable aspect more interactive and a more touching experience for our players to actually see what they are supporting.”