Teachers to retire after decades of service

By Anna O’brian

​As the 2013-2014 school year comes to a close, WHS says goodbye to retiring Social Studies Teacher Mr. Thom Hornish and Math Teacher Mr. Les Jacobsen.
Hornish has worked at WHS for 41 years. According to Hornish, he plans to pursue other passions during retirement. He will continue teaching classes at Union County College. He will also continue to coach the girls cross-country team.

Said Hornish, “Coming to WHS every day energizes me, so for the hours I spend in school, I am a teenager once again.”
According to Hornish, he distinctly remembers that when he first received his job, the principal asked him how he felt about WHS. He responded that he somehow felt at home, even though this high school was three times the size of his own.

Said Hornish: “I have always felt welcome by the community and by my colleagues, and I have never forgotten that.… I can’t think of a place I’d rather be.”
Hornish also said he thanks his students for enabling him to grow both personally and professionally.

Jacobsen, who is also retiring this year, has worked at WHS for 39 years. Jacobsen said that he is going into semi-retirement. He will continue tutoring in math and teaching SAT/ACT classes, but he plans to focus on his second passion of home renovation.

According to Jacobsen, working at WHS is more than just a job. He said he was able to learn and grow into the instructor that he is today because of his work at this school.

Said Jacobsen, “Teaching is about respecting the students as individuals and helping them learn, grow and mature into adults with skills to help them lead inspiring and fulfilling lives.”

In his letter of resignation, Jacobsen said, “This is what I was meant to do and have been blessed to have been a part of such a wonderful school with such wonderful students and caring professionals.”

A piece of advice that Jacobsen leaves for WHS is to “learn everything you can, apply it to your life and work, smile and appreciate the things in life you have.”

Principal Mr. Peter Renwick said: “There is no doubt that Westfield High School will not be the same without their positive energy. Along with so many in our school community, I will sincerely miss Mr. Hornish and Mr. Jacobsen.”

In addition, Guidance Secretary Ms. Anna Hade and Main Office Secretary Ms. Barbara Costine are retiring this year.