Lacrosse wrap-ups

​by Rebecca Freer

Girls’ lax

Boys’ lax

The girls lacrosse team met a milestone by making it to the Union County finals for the first time.  This left the team with an 11–8 record, according to highschoolsports.nj.com.
Senior Co-Captain Mary Randazzo said that her favorite part about the team “is the fact that every game was a whole-team effort, not just one or two seniors.”

Randazzo added that since they are a young team, they “are only going to grow and get better, which is awesome because other teams … will be graduating their entire starting lineups.”

This year, the team beat many teams that they have not before, such as Chatham and Oak Knoll, which were proud moments for the team, said Randazzo.

This year marked the first time in 27 years—almost 3 decades—that the boys lacrosse team won the Group IV State Championship.  The team played the “best competition in the state” this year, according to senior Tri-Captain Chris Aslanian.

Said Aslanian, “We hit a rough patch in the season and went on a long losing streak, but when faced with adversity, this team really came together and worked for that common goal, which was the State Championship.”
Assistant Coach William Wertheimer said: “We had a few things that helped us during the state tournament: our seniors showed great leadership, we had a healthy team, and we started to click as one unit. These three things were a major factor in our state championship run.”