Boys lax falls to SHP

by Caroline Baldwin

​After the Westfield Blue Devils faced some tough competition leading up to this game including Ridge and Summit, the Blue Devils fell to a strong competitor in Seton Hall Prep in a physical battle 11–4, last Saturday.

Said senior Jake Kaplan: “We were confident going into the game. We played two close games against prominent teams the week before and we knew if we played what we were capable of, it would be another good game.”

SHP scored three unmatched goals in the first quarter leaving the score 3–0 going into the second.
However, WHS came out strong in the second quarter as junior Luke Prybylski scored 40 seconds in, making the score 3–1.
The second quarter was filled with penalties and a back and forth fight between goals as SHP found the back of the net three more times. Prybylski and sophomore James Bohlinger added two more, bringing the score to 6–3 going into halftime.
Said Head Coach Mr. Patrick Tuohy: “We committed too many penalties early on in the game that definitely dug us a hole. The kids gave a great effort as always, we just didn’t execute.”
WHS faced trouble getting the ball past the extremely strong SHP goalie throughout the third quarter, as senior Tri-Captain Chris Aslanian was the only one able to do so, despite many shots on goals, leaving the score 8–4.
Said senior Tri-Captain Dane Huber, who was unable to play due to injury: “Our shooting was poor, our defense did not play well as a unit, and offensively we were not moving enough off the ball. When you play a respectable team like SHP [must] execute.”
SHP was able to score twice more, ending the third quarter with a score of 10–4. The fourth quarter was filled with a handful of penalties and only one goal belonging to SHP making the final score 11–4.
Huber said: “Our goal for the rest of the season is still to win the county championship and state championship. All our losses this year but one are to top 10 teams. That includes two overtime losses and three one-goal losses. These losses will serve us well for states as we gained experience.”