Meet the Captains

by Elena Arida

It’s finally Spring. With the new month come new sports and more importantly, new WHS team captains. Let’s take a look at what some of the captains are buzzing about come season.

Girls Track Captain Erica Fischer
“Mentally it can be really hard to keep pushing your self at practice and during races so hopefully I can help girls to push themselves so they can get those PRs and times they really want…. The whole team this year has been working really hard and we haven’t had the usual crew that hangs out in the trainers room so the season is looking really good!”

Girls Track Captain Lizzie Ponce

“Of all my seasons on the team, I’ve never seen so many girls ready to work hard and learn from the coaches and other teammates. No one is trying to take short cuts and everyone is determined to have a successful season.”

Girls Track Captain Chrissy Mosco

Our goals for this season are to dominate all of our dual meets, take the Union County Championships by storm, and win the Cranford Relays for the second consecutive year. We are looking to represent Westfield track again at the East Coast Relay Invitational Meet, Group IV Championship meet, as well as the Meet of Champions at the end of this season. We also wish to take the Blue Devil Relays.

Girls Track Captain Gabby Stravach

We’ve stepped up our intensity level. We started the season harder and faster than any other season and we’ve been doing a lot of strength training and stretching to prevent injuries…. This team is made and prepared to do great things, so I’m looking forward to seeing how it all plays out when all of our hard work pays off.

Boys Track Captain Jonathan Savorgiannakis

“In order to accomplish team goals it comes down basically to hard and consistent training. The winter was tough with all the snow, which caused inconsistent training to the whole team. Now with the warm weather soon approaching, everyone is looking forward to practicing without major interruptions; which will enable use to accomplish these team goals.”

Boys Track Captain James Schiano

“This season I’m looking forward to the growth of some of the younger athletes because this program has some great potential and a bright future”

Boys Track Captain Matthew Luppino

“The team is always competitive in the county and the state, so we are looking to solidify ourselves as a top program and a team to fear when we step to the line. As a captain, it’s my job to drive every guy in the team to their highest potentials, both through my encouragement and my actions on the track.”

Boys Track Captain Phil Edwards

“If we have the chance I would like to break the 4x1600m record, we have a lot of strong milers and we could put together a record breaking team…. For the team our goals are to defend our no loss streak, defend our conference title, and place 2nd at the county meet again…. The big challenge when it comes to defending our no loss streak will be the duel meet against Scotch Plains. Last year we tied them. Scotch Plains is strong in the field events where we are shorthanded especially after graduating so many last year.”

Boys Track Captain Frankie Pinney

“Well, as a captain, I’m looking forward to leading the team, and starting some new team traditions…. As a team, we are hoping to send as many athletes as possible to the meet of champions.”

Golf Captain Justin Slavin
“As a team, our goals are to win as many matches as possible, win the Watchung conference, win the union county tournament and qualify for the tournament of champions. As the captain my goals are to play the best golf I can, while being a leader to my teammates on and off the field.”

Boys Lacrosse Captain Christopher Aslanian
“Our teams goals for this season are to win a county championship and a state title. We feel that we have the talent and the will to do it this year. As a captain my goal is to be the best leader I can be and set a good example for my teammates…. We have a great coaching staff who all care about this program so much and they will put us in a position to be successful.”

Boys Lacrosse Captain Dane Huber

“Our plan to accomplish those goals are to focus and go 110 percent every time we step on the field, in the  weight room, or watching film…. We stress fundamentals of skills and learning the game because sticking to the basics are essential to winning. We have the athleticism to win just need to put it all together.”

Girls Lacrosse Captain Alexis Kardias
“We have one of the hardest schedules in the state so I think there will be a lot of games that really test how much we have improved as a team since last year. As a captain, I try to be the best leader I can be both on and off the field. Weather it is pushing my teammates to be the best they can be or simply just being there for me I want them to know that I’m here to help them in any way.”

Girls Lacrosse Captain Mary Randazzo

“As for team goals, we are definitely gunning for a county championship and to make it to state finals. We are always striving for big wins too, against towns like Summit, Ridgewood and Mountain Lakes…. As for me, I am looking forward to just taking-in and enjoying this season because it’s my last high school season ever and it’s been an incredible experience and journey.”