Staffer comments on NFL draft

by AJ Gold  
With the college football bowl season officially over, eligible college football players across the country now face what could be the most important decision of their lives: whether or not to declare for the NFL draft.

Commentary

​According to draftsite.com, “A player must be out of high school for at least three years to be eligible for the [NFL] draft.” This would mean that collegiate juniors, seniors, or previously redshirted sophomores can enter the draft.
The main conflict many athletes face is whether to graduate from college and earn a degree prior to entering the draft or to bypass this process and declare for the draft without completing their education. While getting a degree may appear to be the smarter thing to do, the athletes who enter the draft prior to graduating should be given the same consideration as those who finish college.
Staying to finish a four-year degree carries risks. If an athlete has a down year or a catastrophic injury, his hopes of making it big can go straight down the drain, providing another reason for these athletes to leave when the time is right.
The average NFL salary in 2012 was $1.9 million, according to forbes.com. For many athletes, $1.9 million looks more enticing than a college diploma, and there’s nothing wrong with that. Many college athletes come from less fortunate backgrounds, and 86 percent of student athletes continue to live in poverty while in college, according tosportingnews.com. The money offered at the pro level is an acceptable reason for declaring when eligible, as athletes and their families may need the money.
Since college athletes aren’t legally allowed to accept any money or benefits until reaching the pro level, financial issues fester for the duration of their time in school. While most collegiate athletes will not make it to the pros, for those with the chance to do so, it seems useless to wait to get a college diploma. If their career choice is to become a professional athlete, a college degree may not be any use when they have the chance to earn the payday every athlete dreams of.