Understanding diversity 

by Kaylee Baez

September was Hispanic Heritage month, a time to celebrate and acknowledge Hispanic Americans who have positively influenced our culture and contributed to our country. For many, this month brings pride and joy to different sub-cultures around America. For others, it’s just September.

As time goes on, many in the larger culture are failing to acknowledge the ethnic and racial backgrounds that contribute to the American melting pot. Cultures around the world have influenced more than just food. They have influenced different traditions, beliefs and lifestyles.

As a school, WHS should be more culturally aware, to create a community that does not ignore different races and their contributions. Westfield, being a predominantly white suburban town, is exposed to little diversity when it comes to different cultures. According to citydata.com, 84.9 percent of citizens are white and only 6 percent Hispanic, 5 percent Asian and 2.6 percent African American. For students, high school should be a gateway to the real world, preparing them for real life situations. However, WHS students are prepared strictly for what they see in the hallways and in their community. Today, the cafeteria is set up with invisible barriers around every table. The minorities sit with the minorities and the status quo remains.

As a student, I experience the average life of a teenager. As a Hispanic, I am exposed to the consequences of uniformity every day. Each year when the holidays come around, all my friends get a day off to open presents and spend time with their families. I, on the other hand, have to be in school on the day of Epiphany. Epiphany, otherwise known as Three King’s Day or Día de los Tres Reyes Magos, is a time to celebrate religion, culture and family. Those belonging to other cultures are sometimes forced to choose between school and celebrating important cultural, family and religious holidays.

WHS students are often stereotyped as spoiled, “white bread” kids that won’t venture out of their comfort zone. By learning about other cultures, students can combat this stereotype. The sooner we begin to explore other cultures and open our minds to what is really out there, then the sooner we can see how vibrant and colorful our world really is.While the demographics in our community cannot be changed, Respect Week gives our educators a second chance to expose our students to diversity and awareness. However, the possibilities do not end here.

As a country, the importance of diversity and awareness goes beyond individual races, but instead how they coincide and melt into America’s present, past and future. We must do our part as a nation, but especially as a school to stay aware.