Students seek out clubs

by Maddie Katz
Today, students will pile into the courtyard during all lunch periods in search of the best club opportunities–and candy–from their peers at the annual Club Day.
WHS has roughly 65 student-run clubs, according to westfieldnjk12.org. There is a wide variety of clubs at WHS, including some that do not guarantee membership such as Model UN and others that are just starting up.

Club genres at WHS range from athletic to artsy and academic to charitable. “The great thing about clubs at our school is the fact there’s something for everyone,” according to Junior Melanie Nettler.

For students trying to show off their expertise on the computer while also giving back to the school, Yearbook Club is a popular option. Club member Nora Aronds said that the yearbook gives students a place to see every diverse member of the WHS community. The yearbook members work each year to unite all of the students and staff “under the philosophy of the Blue Devil.”

There is no shortage of clubs for those looking to give back to the greater community as well. Said senior Pat Harris, Co-President of Act for Autism: “The goals of the club are to help raise awareness about the prevalence of autism and to help socialize the autistic community in Westfield. We are a pretty new club and all of the leaders are excited for the opportunities the year will present, and the impact that we will have.”

With so many clubs available to WHS students, everyone can find something that sparks his or her interest while giving them an opportunity to expand their horizons.